Ph.D. Program Admission and Application
Applicants must have the following:
- Master's degree in social work from an accredited institution
- At least 2 full years of relevant professional practice experience beyond the MSW
- Leadership potential
- Completed a Statistics course within two years prior to admission (please see the program curriculum page for details)
Required Application Materials:
To be sent to the PhD office:
- A letter of intent to apply, which must be sent during the application period.
To be uploaded to the Graduate School's online application during the application period:
- Official transcripts from each post-high school institution attended. To be official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution to CSU. If the transcripts are in a language other than English, we require that certified translations accompany the transcripts. (Exception: Colorado State University transcripts do not need to be sent).
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which should be from a former professor and speak to the applicant’s ability to succeed in the PhD program. The letters must be uploaded directly from the person recommending you to the Graduate School application site. You provide CSU with the email addresses of those submitting recommendations, and CSU then sends those people instructions on submitting the recommendation.
- Personal Statement that addresses your practice background, your reason for pursuing a PhD in Social Work, and future goals. It should be between 3-5 pages double-spaced.
- In-person or telephone interview with Banghwa Casado, PhD Program Director. Contact her by e-mail to arrange this meeting. It must be completed before the application deadline.
Also, please note:
- International students are required to score a minimum of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL exam. We do not accept the IELTS.
- WICHE/WRPG If you live in the Western United States Region outside of Colorado, and would like to apply for in-state tuition with WICHE/WRPG, please complete and send the WRGP Application Supplement Residency Form (PDF) directly to the department during the application period. (See "Paying for School" for more information).
If you have any questions regarding any of the information above, please contact our graduate program coordinator, Timothy Frank, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: application requirements may be subject to change by our department, the Graduate School, &/or the CSU Office of Admissions.